Thursday, February 12, 2009

House of Words

I'm on a bit of a design kick these days. Last week the Man and I went for a lovely dinner with some friends, and then spent the entire ten minute walk home discussing how we would re-do their kitchen if it was ours. We didn't even get to the rest of the house.

I have also developed a--let's call it a "healthy interest"--in bookshelves. Anyone who's been to our house knows that the Man and I don't seem to believe in any form of decorating except to pile the books a little higher. But if we were a little wealthier, we could have some seriously cool bookshelves, as the following photos illustrate. Who needs art when you have these?

Having said that, the Man and I are cultivating a fondness for big, bold prints like these ones, discovered courtesy of this blog:
The more I think about it, we seem to be literally building a house of words (here I am, a writer, and here he is, a researcher). I think the visual manifestation of this started with this print, which the Man picked up from work (on the other side, it's actually a promo poster for Penguin):Our most recent acquisition is a fabulous little print from the lovely Badaude, who offered a wonderful books-for-artwork exchange last month. Since we are already the proud owners of the print she was offering, and since we are neighbors, we popped over one chilly evening for a glass of wine and a perusal through some really rather stunning stuff. I'm such a fan of this sort of old-fashioned bartering system, and, as the Man pointed out, there's something weighty about owning a piece of art that you have a personal tie to. (When he said this I suddenly remembered going to Santa Barbara with my parents as a child, to this artist's studio, and how my favorite paintings growing up were always the two we'd chosen on that day.)

It was a tough choice, but here's what we've ended up with from Badaude (the photo doesn't do the incredible green real justice). It's called "wake-up call" and the man in the middle is, the artist told us, actually Edgar Allen Poe, though she hadn't realized it at first. How apropriate:

2 comments:

Badaude said...

So kind of you to give me a mention.
I started reading your post without knowing I would end up somewhere in it, and wanting to suggest that you add the bookworm bookshelf, which I have long coveted, to your 'want' list (I don't have one and the way the Euro is going I don't think I'll be getting one any time soon). You can lust after it at: http://www.bonluxat.com/a/Ron_Arad_Bookworm_Bookshelf.html
Talking of design in general, I just posted something about shopping for lingerie in Paris. Why is so much of it so awful, even in the city of love?

Miranda W. said...

it seemed only appropriate to mention you in a post about pretty art-related things! definitely adding the bookworm to my lust-list...and don't get me started on ugly lingerie. the world is far, far too full of it. look forward to reading your post!