Saturday, March 14, 2009

In Between the Crack of the Bed and the Wall

My knees are stiff from being bent in the same position for hours. My papers are spread across the couch like a dropped deck of cards. As part of my research, I started putting post-its on a map of Oxford earlier but they've all come off (the map to limp, the post-its too acquiescent) and now at my feet is a puddle of pink strips. I've been picking continuously at my right pinky all day. Earlier, I had a glorious run in the almost-sunshine, wearing shorts, which I haven't done in so long, followed by an hour-long bath, in which I listened to classic.fm and read Pat Barker's Regeneration, so my head is full of choral music and shell-shocked dreams. Every time I think about what I'm working on I feel a tiny jolt of panic.

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall," I hear, and I think, I'm trying not to, really.

In short, I need to get out of the house.

No comments: